Saturday, July 03, 2004

Youth Camp, Beautiful Day and Spiritual Songs

Today is so beautiful. I slept in a bit and practiced the piano pieces for Camp. Also, I had a nice conversation with Diana about Youth Camp (starts tomorrow!). At both our houses there has been a flurry of activity as we prepare to go away for the upcoming week. Her teenagers are all ready to go but getting everything into the car has proved to be a challenge. We have our pickup truck and I know that we're going to have to work to make it all fit because we are bringing all the camping gear. In fact, as soon as I'm done here, I'm going to sort the laundry and get my clothes set aside for packing. Most of the camping gear is ready, just need a tarp.

I'm listening to the most beautiful Spiritual Song right now. It is called "Under Whose Wings We Have Come To Trust" and is one of our Youth Camp Theme songs that we have been learning. The music coordinator sent a practice CD with the songs performed for us. If I can figure out how to link the actual song so you can hear it, I will. When I first heard it, I got all choked up with feeling. It's an amateur performance (which isn't to say that it wasn't well done) but it still really moved me. Here are the lyrics.

Oh God of endless days, please accept our praise
We cry unto Thee
We have been called to Light, from the Gentile Night
By Christ redeemed.
In times of trouble there is refuge and relief
And so with thankful hearts we lift our voice to Thee

**Chorus**

Under whose wings we have come to trust
The God of Israel, a loving God and just
May we find favor in thy sight
Even though we are but dust
Under whose wings we have come to trust


Thy servants of old time, left the world behind
To serve Thee alone
And so we strive to be servants unto Thee
And to thine Only Son.
May we uphold Thy character within thy field
In virtue serve, the truth preserve, rich harvest yield

**Chorus**

We come to Thee to pray for that coming day
When Christ in Zion reigns
When we His bride will be, Israel's joy shall see
Thy rest we shall obtain.
'Till then as friends united by Thy glorious light
We'll serve in hope and love by faith and not by sight

**Chorus to Finish**