Thursday, July 29, 2004

Indentured Servant

or at least I feel as tired as one....  This temp job is working out perfect, but frankly, I'm not used to getting up in the morning nor was I ever good at it.  Also, I have had not one but TWO, lame late-for-work days.  My boss is cool, though.  Her name is BJ and if I had to start a new job, arriving 20 minutes late for both the days I've worked there, I would want her to be it.  Now, I know I sound like a loser, but really, truly, these were bizarre, unforseeable events that I had little control over.  I know inquiring minds want to know aaaallllll the details so here you are.....

First day, I get ready to leave about 10 minutes early, you know, good first impressions and all.  (Remember, since I was hired through a temp agency, I've never met my employer) I grab my car keys, a little snack food, my sweater, my wallet....... my wallet.....  Hey! Where's my wallet??!!??  I tear through the house and my car, desperate, but no wallet.  Suddenly, with a sinking feeling, I realize it is  in.  my.  husband's.  truck...  I left it there after we used it for some work.  The truck is 20 minutes away, in the opposite direction from which I should be traveling, and my 10 minute "early window" has been completely blown away. 

I rang up my hubby and we arranged to meet partway along.  I also called the new boss, using 411 information (I didn't even know the number) and explained the situation to her while feeling like a really hapless dunce.  But she was cool about it, saw the humor and laughed it off.  Last night while getting ready for bed, I thought, "there is no way I will blow this again tomorrow" and resolved to just make a fresh go of it.  BUT, "tomorrow" dawned with it's own little pitfall already set in motion from yesterday..... 

After  prying my eyes open after the third "snooze" on the alarm, I shambled into the bathroom for a shower and started to brush my hair (so I could wash it) while the water was getting hot.  I noticed what looked like large snarl in the back of my long hair and started to work it out.  OR NOT!!  What I thought was a snarl was actually a little gob of SAP!!  in my hair!!  I had 25 minutes to get ready and leave, with no time to spare.   How can you possibly remove sap from your hair in, like, 3 minutes?  I didn't have time for this!!

Wondering how I could possibly have gotten sap in my hair?   I have been helping my husband with the electrical work on a side job he has.  There are two houses being built and Ed is installing all the electrical.  We arrive at the job at around 4:00pm and leave when it gets dark at 8:30/9:00.  I can help out by guiding wires, go-fering, hammering staples and what not, and not freak out the other guys because they're all gone for the most part by 3, 3:30.  However, when a house is framed, the lumber is fairly fresh and some of the 2x4's really ooze sap.  Now I'm pretty good about looking where I put my hands or sit, so I don't usually have too much trouble but apparently I leaned back against the "wall" and must have tilted my head back to look at the ceiling (probably looking for Ed to drop me some wire) and a gob of sap stuck to my hairbun!  I never noticed, because I didn't take down my hair until I went to lay my head on my pillow for the night. 

***Helpful Hint:  When you get sap on your skin, scrape it on non-sappy, non-splintery wood a few times and most of it will transfer off***

Well, there was no help for it, I couldn't go to work with sap in my hair, so I spent about 15/20 minutes scrubbing it out.  *** 'Nother Helpful Tip:  Neutrogena Anti-Residue shampoo and Joico Moisturizer REALLY did well at stripping the sap out of my hair*** I was 20 minutes late to work.  Thankfully, I knew BJ was going to be in a meeting at 9:00, when I was supposed to be getting there, and wouldn't be panicking thinking I wasn't showing up.   I did tell her later, by explaining that I wasn't going to leave at 3:00, but 3:20 to make up for being late again.  She surprised me by being totally sympathetic and still saw the humor in all this ridiculousness... 
Yay, cool boss!

These long work days are poopin' me out though.....