Tuesday, June 15, 2004

One Weeks' Rambling

I apologize for not posting for a WEEK!! I'm actually shocked at myself that I haven't. So, a quick update from me....

Taking Care of my Awesome Hubby

I have been enjoying bringing Ed his lunch at noon. It feels special the way that he needs me and I need him. He never makes enough time in the morning to make himself a lunch and I love taking care of him with this small thing really, but it means a lot to us both. I also can't say enough about the way he is working to support us since I lost my job. He hasn't complained once about how hard he is working. He gets up at 6:30 to go to his first project job, he finishes there at 3:00, then he drives to the construction site and works there from about 4:00 to 7:00. Normally, this much time spent at work would make me crazy but since I can help him, not just by bringing lunch, but by doing odd jobs that make his life easier, I find myself quite content.

God Taking Care of Us

To comment on the work: When it rains, it pours. Ed has been asked to bid another job!! This is great because if we get it that means that his own business is starting to take off. We are working with a really great General Contractor who is honest and doesn't mind helping Ed get off the ground by working with him. I know God is caring for us and providing for our needs even when it wasn't the way that WE planned it. However, I just can't complain. His way is best.

Visitors Coming

I had a young married couple coming as guests over the weekend and I used that deadline to inspire myself to attack the garden, guest room & bathroom, and living room. Also used them as an excuse to visit Linens & Things and buy STUFF!! I splurged (gently) on 3 new throw pillows for the bed in the guest room, all various shades of purple that match the quilt in there.

The visitors are my great friends Jon and Tiffany, and I really enjoyed spending so much time with them. There are some great benefits to not having a job! When they arrived on Friday night there was no pressure to cut our visit short because of work calling on Saturday, and on Saturday we all just worked on little projects but with no great urgency and I found that to be very relaxing. Tiffany has been wanting to learn to Crochet, and we sat down Saturday and I taught her the basic three stitches that will get her started with any project: Single Crochet, Half-Double Crochet, and Double Crochet. We also went to Michael's and bought a great how-to book, the same one that I used when I taught myself, for Tiffany to take home with her so she can keep it up. She learns really fast, so I know that she will have some fun with it.

Garden Slaving

So, back to what I was saying about the Garden. HA!! What garden you may ask? Yes, I promise that there really is one in our backyard. Spent most of Monday hacking and slashing back plants who had REALLY taken advantage of my absence and were attempting to launch an attack "to take over the world"!!! (channeling Pinky and The Brain) But I prevailed and the majority of the "shrubbery" is well in hand. (Until 6 months from now, HA! Which is probably the next time that I will touch it)

Truthfully, I love working in the yard but when I was working full time, it really cut into my hobby. Consequently, I have some plants that are still in the pot awaiting their placement into the backyard, and some that have perished awaiting the re-routing of our drip system to water them, too. When I have made a little more progress, I will post some pic's of the yard so that you all can enjoy it too.

New Camera

Speaking of pic's..... I have been without digital camera since ours mysteriously gave up its' life for no apparent reason several months ago. Which wasn't really a big deal when I didn't have a blog, seeing as our film camera was still handy for documenting most special events. BUT, we have missed it, my husband uses it for his work when he needs to get a copy of blueprints for an electrical job, and film ends up living in our regular camera for obscene lengths of time. We have film that hasn't been developed in over a year. Sorry, digression aside, we bought a new digital camera at Costco on Monday!! It was such a good deal and perfect for what we use it for. Went with a Nikon Coolpix 2100 and we also bought an extra memory card since the one that comes with it is paltry in size.

Sunday Exhortation

Jon delivered the Exhortation Sunday on "Losing for Christ so that we may Win Christ". Primarily the main point that I took away was a reminder that whatever worldly attachments we have, they are nothing compared to the glory that is to come when Christ returns. We must live in the world, working, going to school, raising family, etc, but not become entrenched in it permanently. We will wrongly pursue emptiness if we forget the whole reason that we are even here: To prepare our hearts for Jesus' coming, to rejoice in that knowledge and to share the Gospel message found through out the WHOLE Bible with others. We must lose our attachment and pursuit of this things so Christ is won. The apostle Paul says it well here.