Monday, May 10, 2004

One of my Hobbies

Today is Ballet class day!! One of my hobbies is dance and right now I have been taking Ballet. I started out with my first class in September of '03'. My main objectives where:

(a) regain my flexibility ( I used to be a rubber band )
(b) get stronger legs and stomach (I used to be very fit, cross country runner, etc)
(c) have a way to relax and exercise!

I am happy to report that all of these things have happened and more!! I used to have chronic neck and upper right shoulder pain from taking phone calls for work. Now, I rarely have any sensitivity! Yay Ballet! Also, while painting my kitchen, I expected that my legs, neck and arms would hurt the next day and (wait for it, drumroll, clash of cymbals) THEY DIDN'T!! Also, I can now lay on my side and extend my top leg completely straight, foot flexed and held by my hand, with NO difficulty. Now, let me tell you that was NOT the case when I started the classes. I felt like 27 going on 57. Now I feel 27 going on 21!! Once again, Yay Ballet!

My class is preparing for the summer show, and I will be performing in it, God Willing. Our music is really modern and dramatic and our dance is shaping up to be fairly athletic, whether it is controlling slow movements shifting into different positions, or leaping and turning. I am really enjoying it.

Our barre work is very challenging, not in the sense that it is extremely difficult to do, but in sense of requiring self discipline. Hard for me to decide which part of class I like better, the barre work or practicing the Dance. Any one else out there a ballet dancer?